Thursday, June 29, 2006

poetry thursday....

He says, She says.

Coming and going
to-ing and fro-ing
off we set
off we jet
off like a herd of turtles

(and as i speak
my father's oddity
comes forth
and i welcome it
with a grin)


the prompt was to use a phrase
that you hear alot or use alot.
this is one that i use at least once a day,
off like a herd of turtles....

the rest of my day is peppered
with "done like dinner" s
"pitterpatter lets get at 'er"s
"hit the road jack"
"ready, freddie?'
and "ready to go, joe?" s

i say its because i work with kids
that i talk like that
but my dad talks like that
so maybe
its hereditary...
heh.

12 comments:

Deb R said...

I love this, gkgirl, so fun!! Perfect response to the prompt.

Also, I think we must be related, either by blood or marriage. Two of my husband's standard phrases are "ready, freddie" and "all righty, heidi" and my dad's favorite response to the question "whatcha doin'?" is "i'm up on the housetop, chasing elephants." My family is delightfully weird. :-)

Funky Finds said...

Sounds like a fun way to speak to me!!!

Anonymous said...

You know what expression my dad uses? If he doesn't like something, or someone, "It should be shot!"

I hate that.

I liked your poem though, it was cute.

kristen said...

clever!

Anonymous said...

My dad has some awesome phrases, but they are very...male. :) I always find myself saying, "okey dokey pokey." I drive my OWNself crazy with it!

Great job with the prompt!

liz elayne lamoreux said...

delightful. a herd of turtles. this just makes me giggle.

Jim Brock said...

What's the real charm (other than the well praised "guy" speak) for me is all the fun that you've padded with this goofy phrase.

Colorsonmymind said...

One of these days I should follow the prompt...
I love this poem-and knowing some everyday phrases you use.

maybe it is hereditary-no matter-it is still endearing

January said...

What a fun poem. I do like the "herd of turtles." Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

*laughing*
My honey says "herd of turtles" all the time. Cracks me up.

Frankie said...

Haha fantastic. I love this reflection of your father echoed in your every day expressions. Lovely.

Dani In NC said...

Great poem. It shows how some of your everyday speech reminds you of other people or places. I love adding odd phrases and slang to my vocabulary.