Thursday, December 26, 2013

and so this was christmas...

come and gone in the blink of an eye...

things that i think will stand out for me
as marking Christmas 2013 as the year that:
  • my mom got a smart phone...i LOVE being able to text my mom now...and trying to convince my dad that he should be next.  i am such a pusher.  
  • i was blown away by how much easier a larger monitor is going to make editing for me.  I never realized that having a wider monitor would work SO much better for lightroom...and i am loving it.  Especially since i had been feeling a little down about editing...overwhelmed and tired and stressed...but having a new toy definitely perked me up!
  • i realized that although Christmas will change every year that the kids get older, it doesn't have to be upsetting.  Coming to terms with the fact that yes, they both left to go to friend's and boyfriend's after we got home on Christmas day and suddenly the house was quiet and still...and yes, I had to wake them up Christmas morning instead of them waking us...but there were other things to hold onto.  The fact that they bring up the traditions we have always done (never even intending to make them traditions), but they have become unintentional traditions to them.  To watch the ease in which they navigate the various family homes we visited, so comfortable and adult...drinking coffee, making small talk...i stare in wonder....when did this happen?  and inside, i smile.
  • i committed to just letting Christmas happen.  We didn't have much money (we never do, heh) but less this year with my husband not working because of the accident and some additional bills...but we still got by (as we always do) and i just let go of any expectations...and it was good.  It was better than good.
  • that Dee Snider favorited a tweet that I shared about 18 who has been a crazy-obsessed fan of his since she was about 5...and how 18 just about cried when i showed her...:)
And now, we are on to January...
on to all of my favorite things...
from here on out the days get longer instead of shorter...
new year's resolutions....
no photo sessions or weddings for a little bit,
a chance to recharge my very-burnt-out batteries....
i am looking forward to planning and making lists
and maybe a little scribbling...
to taking some photos for me again...
to trying a new recipe, to getting back to the gym


to finding some much needed BALANCE in my life.
i did not have to think about my word for 2014
at all.
it hit me in the face like a hammer.
it has been screaming in my ear.
it has been following me, stalking me, nudging me, poking me...
because
i
really.
really.
really.
need it.

and i feel good about it....i know how desperately i need it...
i didn't choose it...
it chose me.

happy holidays to you and yours!
bring on 2014, I am ready!

No comments: