Monday, April 19, 2010

april post-a-poem {7}

it's hard for me to see you so sad,
tear swollen eyes
and little girl lost
and know there is
nothing
i can do to make it better...

no bandaid, no bribe of cookies or candy...
no switching on a cartoon to divert your attention.

you are heartbroken
for the first time
and it tears me apart to
see you so sad...

and to feel so helpless.

all i can do is offer words
and make time to listen
if you decide you want to talk...
it just feels like i should be doing more...
offering more, fixing things, changing things

making it not hurt.

but i'm helpless on the sidelines,
watching and waiting,
guessing and gauging,
checking each day for progress...

watching you hold your heart together
with two small hands.

2 comments:

Nat said...

Ooooh hugs to her...

I hate when I can't make it better.

Relyn Lawson said...

Oh, I do dread these days. Dread them. My own little just had her last day of second grade yesterday. My heart breaks just a little.